Home > Published Issues > 2020 > Volume 9, No. 2, May 2020 >

Experimental Study on CBR Value of Overboulder Asbuton Stabilized by Cement

Noor Dhani, Lawalenna Samang, Tri Harianto, and A. R. Djamaluddin
Hasanuddin University, Indonesia

Abstract— The load capacity of a material as a road foundation expressed in CBR values. The low CBR value became a problem in many countries for road construction. Buton Island in Southeast Sulawesi, Indonesia, has large amount about 627 million metric tons of asphalt deposit in many forms. In Indonesia, natural asphalt derived from Buton Island was called Asbuton (Asphalt Buton). The Asbuton deposit divided to several type. One of the types is overboulder which about 30% of total deposit of asbuton. Overboulder occurred naturally when limestone reacts with bitumen in top soil layer of asbuton itself, made it a waste material which could be used as stabilizer material, due to its lime content with low bitumen content at about below 2%. Recently in Indonesia, asbuton in general started to be studied for either stabilization and asphalt content extraction. In this research, overboulder is used as replacement material for road foundation layer, stabilized with 3%, 5%, 7% and 10% cement based on the dry density of the overboulder to gain higher bearing capacity. The tests are carried out using CBR specimens with curing time of 7 and 28 days. The test results showed that the addition of cement significantly affected the CBR value. The addition of 10% cement increases the CBR value of the overboulder by 6.8 times, which equals to 82.5% after 28 days of curing time. This CBR value is greater than the addition of 3%, 5% and 7% cement. With this result, overboulder can be used as replacement material for pavement foundation layer which has a high CBR value. And by using local content, there is a chance for advantages both technically and financially for upcoming development, especially in Southeast Sulawesi. 

Index Terms— California Bearing Ratio (CBR), overboulder asbuton, cement

Cite: Noor Dhani, Lawalenna Samang, Tri Harianto, and A. R. Djamaluddin, "Experimental Study on CBR Value of Overboulder Asbuton Stabilized by Cement," International Journal of Structural and Civil Engineering Research, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 165-169, May 2020. doi: 10.18178/ijscer.9.2.165-169

Copyright © 2020 by the authors. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0), which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided that the article is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.